The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. – Steve Jobs
I have been writing now for a few posts on how to discover your passions –those things that would open up your world to living your IDEAL life. I wrote about the 5 key steps to finding your passions and broke down the first few steps into some manageable chunks. Today I am going to share with you some strategies for step 3 – asking good questions.
When you finally decide to take some time to figure out what you're IDEALS are, the hardest part is often where to start. Simply asking yourself what they are over and over is not likely going to help. For me it took coming at the challenge from a number of different ways. The questions that will be most effective will likely be different for each of us so I have compiled these 25 questions as a starting point. They are the ones that I came across in my own searching that have most helped me. So if you are feeling a little lost, I hope they will also help you find the guidance you are seeking.
Best results if you follow the instructions – and don’t cheat!
Instructions: Clear your mind. Clear your schedule. Clear your judgments about what is acceptable and what is possible. Take with you to someplace quiet a pen, a notebook, and these questions. Leave all technology and other distractions behind for a few hours. Allow yourself the time. What you get from this exercise will be a direct product of what you put in.
25 Questions to Discover Your Career IDEALS
- Why did you decide to go to law school (or other post secondary education)?
- What was your favorite subject in law school (or other post secondary education)? Why?
- What was your favorite class/course/subject ever? Why?
- If you were back in high school, what would you do differently?
- What have you tried career wise so far that hasn’t worked? What wasn’t right about it?
- What five (or more) things have bored you about your past or current jobs?
- What things have you come to realize you absolutely do not want in a career?
- How do you LOVE to spend your time?
- What issues do you feel strongly about? What do you find yourself arguing for or against?
- If you had all the money in the world what interests would you continue to pursue?
- What problems would you like to help people solve?
- What wrong would you like to right in the world?
- What difference do you want to make in peoples' lives? What do you want to be remembered for?
- What comes naturally to you and seemingly without effort?
- What do others often compliment you on or say you are good at?
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- When was the last time that “time flew by”? What were you doing?
- What would your ideal work schedule look like? (weekly, monthly, yearly)
- What would your ideal work day look like? (How many hours would you work? What times of the day would you work?)
- If you could work from anywhere, where would it be? (individual office; open concept office; coffee shop; home; abroad; combination etc.)
- Who in the world most inspires you? Why?
- Who are your dream connections? (name at least five people you would LOVE to meet)
- Can you think of five people who you think have really awesome jobs? What do they do? What do you love about it?
- What was the last experience you had where you learned a lot about yourself?
- What was the last crazy idea you had that you or someone else labelled impossible?
The life you LOVE is within you to discover and create.
Best of luck!