Simple Ways to Remove Stress Everyday
- Wear at least one thing that makes you happy (e.g. colourful anything - socks, shirt, dress, tights, underwear, belt, shoes; favorite piece of jewellery or watch; pocket square; suspenders…)
- Make one of your “To Do” items fun or inspirational (e.g. “Have a thumb war with your assistant” or “Go ask a colleague how their day is going.” or “Listen to a TEDTalk.” or “Live your dream.” or "You are awesome.")
- The moment you start to feel frustrated, stressed, panicked, angry, or disappointed get up and go talk to a real person. About work or anything.
- Smile or laugh out loud at least once an hour (even if you don’t feel like it).
- Write down 5 things you are grateful for that day (not big things like being alive, but things like “I am grateful that the lights were all green when I was running late this morning.” or “I am grateful that the rain stopped just as I walked outside to get lunch.” or “I am grateful for the extra hug from my child as I walked out the door to work.” or “I am grateful for the good news on the test results from the doctor.”)
- Stretch once an hour (and while you are up refill your glass of water). I know you’ve heard this one before, but seriously do it! It works.
- Go outside at least once during the work day (Even a ten minute walk around the block will do wonders!)
- Send a funny email to your coworkers.
- Do something nice for someone else. (Even something as small as holding the elevator. And smile at them when you are doing it.)
- Say thank you to someone who helped you.
- Write down 5 things that you did that day that you are proud of. (Anything counts! Even if all you did was get the file you’ve been putting off tackling out of the bottom drawer and set it on your desk. And even if you didn’t come close to opening it.)
- Actually stop working to eat your lunch.
- Compliment someone.
- Work by the 50/10 rule: 50 minutes work, 10 minute break. See if it works for you!
- Stop. And. Breathe.
I hope some of these will work for you!